Wednesday 8 August 2012

A megaphone, scanner & the police

Wow, unbelievable, just over half way through my Olympic shifts!  We had been told at training that time would be pass quick but did not realise just how fast.  I am living and breathing in an Olympic bubble and don't want this fantastic experience to end so soon!

I've spent the last couple of shifts validating and scanning tickets, helping with ticket resolution and finally got to a go on a megaphone (no wise cracks please)!  The megaphone was an experience, I had to prevent the build-up of queues of spectators and help deal with bottle necks.  Well, spectators are like sheep, like to follow and don't listen.  To be honest, they are so excited at being present at the Olympics, they tend to wonder all over and are oblivious to what's going on around them!  Even though I was quite clear and vocal with my instructions via the megaphone, I might as well have been talking to myself.  By the end of this shift I was more than ready to hand the megaphone back - never again!

Ticketing is great, I get to meet not only all the excited spectators, from all over the  world, prior to going into the venue, but get to work with a great bunch of volunteers as well.  I've been meeting some really excited and keen volunteers, with whom I have been sharing this immense experience with and will remain in touch afterwards.  Met, for a very brief moment, as he scurried on by, Sir Steve Redgrave on this shift.  Unfortunately because he was in a hurry I didn't get the opportunity to take a pic!


The calm before the storm
Scanning wars!!!
A mass exodus (egress) after the swimming!

Pin badges, this is not familiar territory but apparently it's very popular at every Olympic games.  Keen enthusiast's collect pin badges from all over the world, from different Olympics they have attended, and then gather at Olympic games time to swop these badges.  I was amazed at how many spectators are involved in this hobby and the vast variety of badges that are available.  Volunteers have too been receiving Games maker pin badges every now and then when we check-in for our shifts.  To date I have a multi-coloured, bronze and silver one and I guess, as some point, I will be receiving my gold badge!  It's great that we are receiving these freebies, to help keep the spirits and motivational levels of volunteers up - every little bit helps!

My limited edition pin badges!

The armed forces, police and other security teams have had a great presence at the Olympic games.  They are constantly in high spirits, just like us volunteers, and join in the carnival games atmosphere that is present around London Town!  This, by far, is one of my favourite pictures to date.

Strike a pose!

No comments:

Post a Comment