Friday 29 June 2012

Nottingham welcomes the Olympic Torch

The Olympic Torch Relay finally arrived in Nottingham and what an emotional and immense 2 days it has been!!!  I followed it's progress yesterday in the Old Market Square, Nottingham and again this morning on Jubilee Campus, University of Nottingham. 

On Thursday it absolutely chucked it down with rain for the majority of the day and we had an awesome thunderstorm in the afternoon.  Apparently this was the most challenging day so far for the Olympic Torch Relay.  It made it's way through Mansfield inside the vehicles as the weather prevented anyone from running with the torch!  By the time it arrived into Nottingham the rain had stopped and the sun began to shine, thank goodness!

I made my way into the Old Market Square, Nottingham to meet my wife and children.  It was packed, heaving with excitement, approx. 18,000 people had turned out to welcome the torch to Nottingham.  The atmosphere was electric, full of excited people, a carnival feeling all around!  We waited patiently for the torch relay to begin.  Wow - we knew when the torch relay was here, the whole place erupted, people shouting, screaming, clapping as the relay made it's way around the square and stopped in front of the council house.  I was feeling quite emotional, games time on the Olympic Park will certainly be a challenge!!!  Two local celebs carried the torch through the city centre, see below.


Guess who?!


The next morning I was meeting the Olympic Torch Relay again but this time on Jubilee Campus, University of Nottingham.  Again as we waited for the Olympic Torch Relay the heavens opended.  Not sure what is happening with the weather this year but we've had a very little Summer.  I am sooooo hoping that come July and games time that we have no rain and it remains dry, fingers crossed hey!

Just like yesterday, as the Olympic Torch Relay arrived so too did the sun, woohoo.  Again the atmosphere was euphoric, lots of people cheering and school children clapping with excitement.  I noticed there where lots more children here today than yesterday but I guess this was because the Olympic Torch Relay was passing prior to school time.  I was close to the relay and managed to take some great pics, a couple are shown below.  The remainder can be seen on my Facebook album.

Finally, in one weeks time I will be having my final reccy of the Olympic Park.  I will of course report back on my experience in my next blog entry :)

Crowds waiting in anticipation on Jubilee Campus

Proud torch bearer running through Jubilee Campus

No comments:

Post a Comment